Monday, December 28, 2009

Day 2 – Harlots or Ladies?

Ok, Ok! I just fell in love with the term "harlots" so I had to use it again, just for fun. Sorry about that. Now seriously, today is not really day 2 as our oldest is 10 years old, but it is day 2 of our being AWARE of what we are trying to do. And trust me. . . .being aware is half the battle. It wasn't until Kenne, our oldest, started mimicking me that I truly realized the impact I had on my children. And are you ready for this? I realized this when I noticed how she stuck her bag of fries from Bojangle's down beside the seat as we were driving, just like mom. Yep, something as little as that opened my eyes to this true dilemma. I say dilemma because if you were to ask any of my friends if I were a lady, they would laugh their hiney's off! I am soooooo not a lady. I am just a good old country gal who loves to laugh, loves to play and loves a good blonde joke now and then. I can remember my grandma Edith shaking her head over me NOT being a lady. She tried her best to make a lady out of me and unfortunately she failed. . . . .MISERABLY! So how the heckaroni am I, little ole' Kelli, going to turn these 3 girls into ladies.

First, let's define the term LADY. Here is what Dictionary.com has to say on the subject:

lady
noun

1.
a woman who is refined, polite, and well-spoken: She may be poor and have little education, but she's a real lady.

2.
a woman of high social position or economic class: She was born a lady and found it hard to adjust to her reduced circumstances.

3.
any woman; female (sometimes used in combination): the lady who answered the phone; a saleslady.
4.
(Used in direct address: often offensive in the singular): Ladies and gentlemen, welcome. Lady, out of my way, please.

5.
wife: The ambassador and his lady arrived late.

6.
Slang. a female lover or steady companion.
7.
(initial capital letter) (in Great Britain) the proper title of any woman whose husband is higher in rank than baronet or knight, or who is the daughter of a nobleman not lower than an earl (although the title is given by courtesy also to the wives of baronets and knights).
8.
a woman who has proprietary rights or authority, as over a manor; female feudal superior. Compare lord (def. 4).

9.
(initial capital letter) the Virgin Mary.

10.
a woman who is the object of chivalrous devotion.

1.
(usually initial capital letter)

a.
an attribute or abstraction personified as a woman; a designation of an allegorical figure as feminine: Lady Fortune; Lady Virtue.

b.
a title prefixed to the name of a goddess: Lady Venus.

Now, in case you are wondering, I am trying to mold my girls into the first definition: a woman who is refined, polite, and well-spoken. Not only do I want them to accomplish this task but it is our greatest hope that they will become "Ladies of the Lord." Now that may be a self-explanatory term for some of you, but others may really be questioning what the heck that means. Well, to Tim and I, it means that we want our girls to be well mannered ladies, who follow the true path of the Lord and are well-spoken on His word but in a way that is not over-bearing or intolerant to others. I want them to be like my Grandma Edith. SHE was a true lady of the Lord. Maybe one day I will be close enough that she will be smiling down on me . . . laughing a little, yes, but smiling just the same. I know she would be very happy that I am at least trying to teach my children the age old art of "ladylikeness." So, here we go. Let's see what happens today. Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment